In 2018 RUDS produced another THREE shows!
Including the new to 2018 Rough Sketch Festival!
The Rough Sketch Writing Festival
- brought together 11 writers from Drama Society & the Writer's Room Society
- each writer wrote a short 5-10 minute play that they
- the plays were performed across two nights - watch both nights of performances here!
- a large cast production that is a non-rights play
- in the past RUDS has performed Much Ado About Nothing (2019), Macbeth (2018), and A Midsummer Night's
- a large cast production accompanied by a live band
- in the past RUDS has performed Our House (2019), Spring Awakening (2018), and Cabaret (2017)
In 2018 RUDS produced THREE Autumn shows:
Small Autumn Play
- a smaller, intimate show
- usually original writing or a non-rights play
- previous shows include Date Night (original - 2018), Sunflowers (original - 2017) and Greek play The Frogs (2016)
Big Autumn play
- a larger, ensemble play
- a variety of different styles and forms of theatre
- previous shows include Road (2018), The Crucible (2017) and Dracula (2016)
- a one-night charity Arts show (first created in 2017)
- we collaborate with other Arts Societies such as Ballet, Breakdance and Tap
- weekly alternating Drama or Musical Theatre workshops
Reading University Drama Society is associated with the Reading University Students' Union which is a registered charity (No. 1140375)
Welcome fellow thespians and theatre lovers!
My name is Erin Karn and I am president of the Reading University Drama Society for 2018/19
Reading University Drama Society (RUDS) is an opportunity for people of all skill levels to put on theatrical performances. If your interest is being on stage we offer opportunities for acting, singing or dancing, but if you are more interested in working behind-the-scenes there are plenty of chances to direct, write, produce, stage manage, be on tech team or design costume, hair and makeup.
We hold workshops weekly in acting techniques, script writing skills or musical theatre. We hold two large scale charity productions a year and do collection buckets at each show night. We also collaborate with other societies to help showcase arts society talent on campus.
As well as constant performances we hold regular socials, an annual awards show and offer a friendly environment to meet likeminded people.
So don't hesistate, get involved and come along to the next auditions, workshops or socials!
Membership for the entire year is only £10.00!
(and will get you discounted tickets for all RUDS Shows throughout the year!)
For non-students membership is £15.00
Buy your membership here
- larger scale events: Welcome White T-Shirt Social, Christmas Party and Summer Sports Day & Picnic
- smaller scale trips & events: weekly Five-A-Side Footoball, Quiz & Karaoke at the Students Union and other trips out
Don't miss anything follow us on all our social media here!
Annual 24 Hour Musical
- our annual charity show in aid of the Ollie Young Foundation
- we cast, rehearse and perform a family-friendly, fun musical in 24 hours!
- previous shows include Grease (2018), Wizard of Oz (2017) and High School Musical (2016)
Find out more about this event and the charity we support here
Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- in 2018 we took up TWO shows for the first time!
- both were original productions written by our members: A Romantic's Guide to the Apocalypse (a musical) and Alfred Hitchcocks Writer's Room (a play)
- auditions are held in summer term, with rehearsals running through the post exam period and into the summer holidays
- in 2019 we are again taking up TWO new shows: The Visitors and Who Killed Bambi?
- previous Edinburgh Fringe productions include The Importance of Being Frank (2017) and Tartuffe (2016)
As well as the cast & crew we also take up any other members who want to come along and experience Edinburgh and the Festival!
Summer is usually quiet but we still have lots going on!
Summer Cabaret Night
- our brand new to 2019 cabaret night set in an initmate, acoustic-style setting
- members can sing, dance, act, do stand up or more!